Monday, January 4, 2016

20% Time/FedEx Day/Passion Time/Genius Hour, Etc.


Just recently, we watched a speech by Daniel Pink called "What Motivates Us: Not What You Think." He gave this speech at the Global Leadership Summit in 2010 at Willow Creek. I had several reflections from listening to this speech that I wanted to share.

First off, he talked about how instrumental your work is when it is:

1. Interesting
2. Meaningful
3. Is a contribution to the world

This really got me thinking about the work that I do each day as a part of the Instructional Coach department. I got to thinking how much of my work covers each of these three aspects and how can I incorporate these three aspects even more so in my daily job. Often times because I work in education I feel like I am making a contribution to the world (or at least to the school community in Berwyn). But how much of it is truly interesting and meaningful? During our iCoach meeting, we were challenged to think about how we can incorporate these aspects into our daily work.

So today we started 20% time/FedEx day/Passion Time/Genius Hour/Whatever you want to call it/Etc! We had 60 minutes to come up with an idea that will:

  • Helps everyone in the organization
  • Share out/Implement
  • Ask for constructive feedback

To make sure that I accomplish this task, I decided to blog about it. That way, I will make it public and this will encourage me to start my project. I have decided to go back to one of my goals from 2015: #Student4aday. I will make this my project for the remainder of the year. Stay tuned for next steps!

-Jordan